Saturday, November 7

Emoticons...Italian Style


Cherrye from My Bella Vita left a comment on one of my blogs stating, "I laughed so hard I scared my husband". My first reaction was one, of course, flattery. But then, I said to myself, 'He must be Italian' (he is). In a country where LOL: Laughing Out Loud is pretty much frowned upon (my great aunt would always remark that my friends and I cackled like a bunch of hens - which is probably where those rambunctious Brits get their 'hen parties' from), I wondered, how do Italians (stalwart internet users, half of them) signify their (silent) peels of laughter over the internet?

So, I came up with my own little table. Feel free to add to it.

:( LOL Laughed Only a Little
but totally not worth actually laughing over

:! CAS Cracked A Smile
but now I have to run out and get a botox injection

:0 LNA Laughter No Audio
but at least la mamma would be pleased

3:) OIL Omigod! I Laughed
but now my boyfriend will break up with me for having caused a scene


picture from www.emoticons4u.com

4 comments:

Cherrye at My Bella Vita said...

Oh that is funny. I OILd on a couple of those. :-)

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! How true!

Clayvessel said...

So Italians can be loud with other emotions (most notably anger) but not joy?

Irreverent Italy said...

That's true! (but, sadly, just women only)

But, actually, stop to observe (most) fender benders -- the people are (almost always) cordial to the nth degree. It's when they're still in their cars that the anger flies (and I refer to my Pope's 10 Commandments for Driving) over on the left hand side.

But, overall, you're right. I've witnessed far more outbursts of anger than joy over the years.